The Discovery Centre has been designed by Simpson & Brown, architects responsible for the multi award-winning Scottish Seabird Centre in North Berwick. It is being built by Baxall Construction.
It will have a number of key features:
- lightweight timber frame and sweet chestnut cladding from sustainable sources, grown locally where possible
- large, glazed windows to offer a perfect view of the reserve
- raised from ground level, on piles, to prevent flooding
- energy efficient, with low-impact heating and cooling, using solar power
- fully accessible
- rainwater to be collected and diverted into the reserve to replenish our lagoons
Where will it be built?
The centre will be constructed on the site of the dilapidated Lime Kiln Cottage, due to be demolished.
We chose it because:
- It’s on the main access path in a great location to explore the reserve
- It isn’t protected by the international wildlife designations of the surrounding land