The Discovery Centre will also act as a gateway for visitors keen to explore the village and the fantastic places throughout the region.
Boosting our tourist economy
Nature tourism is one of the fastest-growing areas in travel today. With our new Discovery Centre, we hope to extend the traditional visitor season beyond the peak summer months. The entire region from Hastings to Hythe is full of spectacular natural wonders, from Romney Marsh and Dungeness, to the dunes of Camber.
Rother and Shepway District Councils want the new Discovery Centre at Rye Harbour to be a gateway, providing:
- maps and information about places, events, festivals and activities across the region
- guidance on how to explore nature sustainably
We’re working with other organisations in the region, including Rother Council, 1066 Country Marketing, the High Weald AONB Unit, Romney Marsh Partnership and Kent Wildlife Trust on an initiative to promote our region’s stunning natural landscapes.
If you want to keep posted with news on these initiatives, subscribe to our e-newsletter enter your details here
Helping our local community
We want this project to benefit everyone in our local community.
We’ve surveyed visitors and local residents to find out their views, and their feedback tells us is that the Discovery Centre must benefit everyone.
There are three ways we are seeking to achieve this:
- establishing a substantial education and training programme, supporting over 7000 young people in the areas of science, nature and the environment
- creating an exciting programme of events and activities for people of all ages, and ensuring we are inclusive in terms of being accessible to disabled people and people with learning disabilities
- establishing Discover Rye Harbour as a project to capture economic benefits for businesses and residents of Rye Harbour, developed in conjunction with Rother District Council
We’re raising funds for all three of these initiatives. Are you able to help your local community by donating to our campaign? >> please donate here